Duration: 4 Hrs.
The tutorial will cover main aspects of steel corrosion and corrosion control for infrastructure with an emphasis on reinforced concrete structures.
Fundamental electrochemical principles will be linked to concrete material science.
The importance of a multidisciplinary approach to assess and control the main degradation mechanism in civil structures i.e. steel corrosion, will be discussed. Novel methods to control steel corrosion will be presented e.g. nano-materials utilization towards self-healing of corrosion damage in reinforced concrete structures.
The participants will gain knowledge on main fundamental mechanisms related to steel corrosion and concrete material science, will get familiar with main concepts of structures’ assessment in view corrosion and corrosion control and will be able to acquire a glance of new technology for corrosion control of infrastructure.
Part I: Introduction and theory
- Corrosion and corrosion mechanism – Electrochemical terminology & electrochemical corrosion
- Thermodynamics & Kinetics – why corrosion in concrete is a concern and how to control it?
- Types of corrosion, phenomena and mechanisms (general corrosion vs local corrosion; galvanic corrosion) – proper design for the engineering practice
- Protection against corrosion – intro coatings and cathodic protection
Part II: Corrosion and protection in reinforced concrete
- General mechanisms – electrochemistry in civil engineering
- Corrosion and corrosion control in practice – methods for assessment and control
- Electrochemical methods and field tests for corrosion assessment
- Cathodic protection – main principles and monitoring efficiency
- Synergy of electrochemical (steel) and microstructural investigation (cement-based material) for proper assessment and control
Part III: Novel aspects in corrosion control for civil structures
- Nano-materials and self-healing for corrosion control in reinforced concrete structures
Part IV: Microbiologically induced Concrete Corrosion and its control
- Part I: Introduction and theory (2h) - Corrosion and corrosion mechanism – Electrochemical terminology & electrochemical corrosion
- Part II: Corrosion and protection in reinforced concrete
- Part III: Novel aspects in corrosion control for civil structures
- Part IV: - Microbiologically induced Concrete Corrosion and its control