Sociedad Mexicana de Materials (SMM- Mexican Materials Society) recognizes the enthusiastic responsibility of Students through their role as student monitors for the XXVII IMRC. For this purpose, the SMM is calling for applications to fill about 50 student monitor positions during the XXVII International Materials Research Congress-IMRC 2018. All participants must be active undergraduate or graduate students* (MSc or PhD) at the time of their presentation at the XXVII IMRC (August 2018) Student monitor responsibilities include:
- Assisting session chairs with proper room conditions (lighting, seat arrangement, laptop and projector connections), availability of laser pointer, reporting any audio/visual equipment problems, etc.
- Reporting the attendance of speakers and attendees during each oral session and reporting any special observation during these presentations.
- Assisting poster session organizers with the tasks of setting up posters and monitoring attendance.
Student monitors may be required to perform these duties for 2 days.
Students in Mexican Institutions will be supported by SMM with free congress registration, free registration for one tutorial course of their choice (subject to availability), airplane or ground transportation to and from Cancún and lodging (5 nights, double occupancy at the venue or some nearby hotels). Students will be required to leave from one of the major airports in Mexico (Mexico City, Monterrey or Guadalajara) on either August 18 or 19, 2018, returning on August 24 or 25, respectively.
Support for students coming from other countries include: free congress registration, free registration for one tutorial course of their choice (subject to availability), 75 USD for one day of assigned activities up to 2 days. Support for transportation and lodging NOT included.
Please note that:
- Travel dates and hotel accommodations are not negotiable.
- Conditions refer to INDIVIDUALS (no accompanying persons can be included).
- Students that received the support during the last two years are NOT eligible.
Students who wish to apply must comply with the following conditions:
- Have submitted an abstract (as presenting author) to participate at the XXVII IMRC on March 15 or before.
- Fill online the student monitor application form (https://www.mrs-mexico.org.mx/imrc2018/index.php) on March 28-30, 2018.
- Postdocs under 30 years of age are eligible to apply for this program.
- Result of your application will be notified by May 25, 2018.
- Exceptions are made for participants who have completed their studies during the five months prior to the XXVII IMRC meeting, considering that they are presenting research that was developed as part of their last level of studies, undergraduate or graduate, respectively. Those participants who have finished their last level of studies more than five months prior to the celebration of the XXVII IMRC, according to the date of their diploma, are not eligible to apply.